a new beginning...

Monday, October 22, 2007

History of the World Part 1


I've been waiting so many years for Mel Brooks to make the sequel to this classic, but I don't think it's going to happen, especially since his efforts seem to be on Broadway plays these days. I work in Times Square and while walking to and from work each day I've been watching them build the stage sets for Young Frankenstein which debuts next month. But I digress...today's' history lesson is about me. Stay with me here - this is not the time to head for the bathroom or reach for the remote.

In order for F.A.T. to know where I'm going, it's only fair to tell you where I've been.

I've been heavy my whole life. The last "skinny picture" I have of me was in Kindergarten. Being young and fat was horrible. I had to shop in the Husky section at Sears. I always held up 2 fingers when it was Hot Dog day at school. I'd come home miserable and what would mom do? Bake cookies, pies, brownies, etc. I know deep down she meant well, but if she only knew it was adding to the problem (as well as my waistline) she might have acted differently. Then again mom was heavy (sadly still is) and that's how she dealt with things - by eating. Lets save that psychology session for another blog, shall we?

Grammar school - FAT
High School - FAT
College - FAT

But wait - something happened my senior year of college (actually it was the summer before my senior year). I guess I got tired of being every body's drinking buddy during the party and then being the one going home alone after it was over. Dean Wormer said it best - "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life". That summer (1990) I had the opportunity to go live with family in TX. It was an opportunity to get away from all the bad influences and social aspects of my life in the Northeast for 3 months. No beer, cigarettes, late night eating - no more. This was going to be it for me.

I began walking 2 miles every morning and again in the evening (TX summers are wicked hot). As the weeks went by the weight began to come off. In 3 months I went from 230 (my all time heaviest) to 210. I went to the grocery store and picked up a 20lb. bag of dog food knowing that this used to be wrapped around my waist. That really hit home for me (I highly suggest trying it for those of you who have already lost a significant amount of weight). When my dad picked me up at the airport, I nearly walked by without him recognizing me.

My progression continued and I ultimately got down to 180 lbs. I lost an amazing 50 lbs. in about 6 months. All sensible eating. All the "right" way. A combination of diet and exercise - 2 words that up until that summer were not a part of my vocabulary.

Over the past 17 years, I must have gotten lost somewhere along the line. Maybe not completely lost, but certainly off course. Way off course.

So yes, I've been there - done that . I can talk the talk because I've walked the walk. Yet here I am 1 year away from the "naughty-40's" and I find myself sadly out of shape but luckily in the current company of some like-minded individuals.

Unlike Mr. Brooks, there will be a sequel to this one.

6 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Gene, you're a fantastic writer - I really appreciate where you're coming from on this.

I've lost 100 pounds plus, and I'm still feeling lost - so don't feel like you're alone at all.

You've got a good perspective. Just put it out there.

And you're right - your story has yet to be written. You're definitely putting together one hell of a rough draft.

Ripx180 said...

great blog Gene... I too have been there before and am making my come back tour to hopefully never return. I have spent to many precious moments of my life kicking myself for getting fat again. Re loosing weight I have lost before really irks me but here I am. This is going to be one of those times where the sequels are better than the originals. Keep writing the script "Gene 2" is gonna be a best seller.

Marcol said...

Great blog. I like your writing style, I didnt once think of heading to the bathroom or looking for the remote :)

One thing is clear you have what it takes to make this weight loss thing happen, history is on your side. Another thing you definitely sound like one determined man to seeing it through, with that determination its sure to happen.

Naughty 40's - cute. What are these here 30's called?

GeneTheK said...

Thanks for the compliments. The more blogs I read & write, I feel this was meant to be.

Oh, BTW, these are the "dirty-30's".

Marcol said...

Now I just need to figure out whats so "dirty" about these here 30's that Im in :)

Jay said...

haha, what are the 20's?

Looking forward to your final transformation story!