a new beginning...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Good, The Sad & The Ugly

It's funny how fast time goes by (I find myself saying that a lot since I've become a parent). I didn't realize it had been 10 days since my last post. 1st of all, thanks to all of your who offered condolences and support either in the comments section or in a private email. Your words of support and encouragement mean a lot. To a non-blogger or a non-FAT coalition member that might seem odd, but there is definitely a sense of community amongst us and the fact that the Holidays are upon us makes that feeling of camaraderie that much greater. Thank you all.

It's been a rough couple of weeks. This weekend I'll be flying to Florida for my Grandmother's memorial service. She has been cremated so the family will gather to say goodbye and share in our collective memories. I know it will bring me some closure, but I've always been sort of weirded out by funerals with cremations. Sort of strange not having the opportunity to say goodbye to a "body". Call me crazy. Whatever.

So...onto The Good, The Sad & The Ugly:

The Good: I had a great weekend with my wife, my daughters and my in laws. We spent the weekend in PA. I truly had much to be thankful for: a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, taking my daughter to see Kidz Bop (her 1st "rock-n-roll" concert), my in-laws watching the kids on Saturday & Sunday so I could spend a night away with my wife at a quaint little B&B and we could start our Christmas shopping, and most importantly traveling safely to and from home. Great to go away - even better to return home.

The Sad: Even though my Grandparents had lived in Florida for several years and they were not part of my day-to-day life any more, it was still sad knowing that they weren't here this Thanksgiving. I'm sure my memories of Thanksgiving as a child are not too far removed from many of yours. The sights, sounds and smells of the season. A busy kitchen. Kids and pets underfoot. Football in the park after dinner, back in time for the late game and pumpkin pie. I still can hear Grandpa's bellowing laugh and Maggie calling out his name when it was time to carve the bird. I miss them.

The Ugly: Lets' see...how many guesses do members of the coalition get to correctly identify the "ugly" part of my weekend. Food & drink, food & drink and more food & drink. Oh, did I mention food & drink. I won't give you mouthful by mouthful details but lets just say I overdid it. I knew exactly what I was doing and was aware of every single thing I put in my mouth. I think a lot had to do with my current state of emotions, but that should not be an excuse. Emotions will always crop up at various stages of our lives - you know, "shit happens". I am strong, but clearly there were too many signs of weakness on display recently. I did make a few veiled attempts at exercise but I messed up my back on my in-laws Health-Rider (what a friggin' death trap that thing is). What's done is done and cannot be undone. I already got angry with myself for "letting go" and I've already forgiven myself as well.

I'll be back at the gym bright and early tomorrow and begin my new circuit routine.

I think I may have posted this in another blog, but I feel it bears repeating. There is no such thing as failure. Only feedback and results.

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving everyone.

8 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Good blog, my friend. As for the eating side of it, you're right - you can't undo the past, so you might as well forgive yourself.

That being said, there's a lot of holidays left. Let's get into 2008 stronger and leaner than we are today.

kyle said...

I'm glad to see that you've "forgiven" yourself for your indulgence, and like you said shit happens. It's definitely nice to have a new post from you though. I found myself hoping that you were doing ok each time I'd visit your site and it was the old one still there.

We're still here for ya. I look forward to reading many more song quotes :) from you over the coming months. I guess it's time to get back after it huh.

Jay said...

yeah man, we've missed you. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Looking forward to seeing you get back on track...get through the holidays by any means necessary and set yourself up strong for next year.

Marcol said...

Glad to have you back Gene. Sounds like you made a hell of a time of your holiday weekend, kidz bop - cute.

I totally feel you on reminiscing on being at the grandparents home during the holidays. Life without my grandmother just hasnt been the same. Sometimes I think about calling her and then realize she's no longer here - I get sad but then I think about a good time we had when she was and that takes me through the sad part... Hold on to your memories and be grateful you have them :)

Way to pick yourself up about your eating by just saying youre going to hit the gym and get it done again. Keep us posted.

Melissa said...

There is no such thing as failure. Only feedback and results.

I like this quote a lot. Its so true and what everyone should keep in mind. Positive thinking can work wonders in life.

I can feel your pain through your blog. Im so sorry your going through this Gene. Your in my thoughts.

Jim McCoy said...

Failure is quitting. If you're still on the horse after a bad weekend, then you're a freaking success. It might take you a little longer to get to where you want to be than it would have, but failure shouldn't even enter the picture.

Marcol said...

Wheres Gene-o? Missing you, hope all is well.

Marcol said...

Wheres Gene-o? Missing you, hope all is well.