a new beginning...

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oh no, another blog from that "song guy"




Happy almost Friday everyone. My weekend starts early since I took tomorrow off and my office is closed on Monday for Veterans Day. So I've got a 4-day weekend staring me in the face and we all know the sort of challenges that weekends pose - especially long ones. However I should be OK since:

a. I'm with my family and they are a big part of my reason for taking this "journey".
b. The Jets have a bye week so there is no tailgate party to go to.
c. I weighed myself last night and was 192 so I obviously gained back a bit of what I lost (in all fairness I weighed myself at night when I normally weigh in 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach).
d. The coalition is in my head and I feel accountable to you all.

That having been said, the latest addition to my iPod is Kid Rock's Rock n' Roll Jesus. 1st pass was OK, but I pay more attention to the lyrics the 2nd time around. Don't worry, after reading my last post I realize that I included far too many lyrics to get my "You can't hurry fat loss" point across. So for the sake of brevity I only copied what I felt was relevant, not only to how I feel this relates to my journey, but perhaps others' as well.

This is my 10th post and the 3rd to cite song lyrics. So 33% of my posts contain song lyrics & depending on how you look at it either I am the most unoriginal blogger in F.A.T. (not) or the most qualified yet overlooked contestant for "Don't Forget the Lyrics" (I applied back in August but never got a call). But I digress...

Track 3 - Roll On (bold emphasizes 'deep' stuff)

And I know it's hard to see with the sun in your eyes
But one day you're gonna say I saw the light


And now headin' for the hill
And I just cannot wait until
My children grow up to have children of their own
And I'll be telling them about
The times I turned the party out
And how I stood against an army all alone
Drinkin' wine and stayin' high
And realized it couldn't last
And how I turned myself around
And went down another path

And the signs we must observe
When life's changes do occur

But most of all I'll tell them
Just how proud I am of them
And always have a good time
It's all love and good times
Let's all have a good time Yeah

Roll on Roll on Roller Coaster
We're one day older and one step closer
Roll on there's mountains to climb
Roll on we're on borrowed time


Maybe it means something to you, maybe not. Read it again if you must & take from it what you will.

Just remember that we need to be reminded more than we need to be informed.

7 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

I love your style of blog. You put thought and time into it, and you relate the music to what's going on. I do a lot of that as well. Be the music guy, whatever it takes to motivate the hell out of you.

I need to get that album - I keep hearing how good it is. Keep it up, man. Glad to hear you feel accountable to us - that's how I feel about you guys. It's a main part of how I've lost the 100 that I already have and a key factor to losing the next 60 I need to.

GeneTheK said...

Thanks Rob. You know what, you're right...nothing wrong with being the music guy.

The album is great. Just be careful if you listen to it in mixed company, especially if there are kids around. Know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Nothing wrong with using music on a weight-loss blog. Music drives (some of) us when we're working out or whatever, so why not include it in blogs? :)

Jim McCoy said...

Whatever it takes to keep things moving in the right direction. If music is what you love, use it. It's all about what works for you.

Melissa said...

I love music, so enjoy your analyze of songs :) And did you see Dont Forget the Lyrics last night? Dottie Harris....she was great! Stay strong this weekend, I know you can do it :)

Jay said...

on NPR this morning, it said that people generally get more work done and are happier if music is playing (both in the gym and elsewhere)....not a bad thing to be the "music guy"

Anonymous said...

Dude, where you at? I miss the inspirational lyrics!!!