a new beginning...

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Too many excuses...


As a matter of fact, I was even going to put this posting off for another day or 2. Maybe if I avoid my blog it will go away?

After back to back weekends in FL, I'm slowly getting caught up on reading everyone's postings. The 1st weekend was for the funeral, this past weekend was a trip with my bro-in-law that was planned months ago. My wife (bless her heart) is an angel for staying home with the girls and allowing me this time away.

I was in Daytona, Jacksonville & St. Augustine with some great friends of ours who have relocated to FL from NJ. It was a super weekend and the fact that it was wrapped around the holiday season made it that much better. Very festive. We laughed, we cried, we hurled (actually only my bro-in-law hurled).

So here is the poignant question of the day. Does being outside of your normal element (i.e. lifestyle) make it OK to just say “screw it” and revert back to the habits of old? (Of course I'm sure you all know I'm relating to our patterns of eating & drinking). Does a death in the family make it OK to drink mugs of beer & eat bar pizza at 11pm? Does seeing old friends relinquish you of the responsibility of the consequences of scarfing down fresh baked Monkey Bread (I tell you what though...it's good stuff) after midnight?

Do life altering events gives us a free pass at responsibility or are they really to be perceived as opportunities that allow us to grow?

Does the fact that I am even questioning these actions make it seem as if I'm striving for perfection...the one thing that is truly unattainable in our lives?

Once again I'm in a place I've become far too familiar with. In my world it could be referred to as "1 step up 2 steps back land". I made some great strides when I embarked on this journey only 2 short months ago, but just recently I have knowingly taken myself "out of the game" and look where it's gotten me. God - the mind can be a wicked thing.

I'm afraid to get on the scale and take current measurements, but I know it's the only thing that will right the ship and "get me off the sidelines". Others have written about a reality check and nothing stirs that up like the cold hard facts.

So maybe I dove a bit too far into the abyss these past few weeks. The water has become deep and the waves are rough.

Even though you may not know it, you have all thrown me one huge collective life preserver.

Man overboard? Nah...Man back on board.

11 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Only thing you can do is hold on and get back on the boat. Whats done is done and there is only tomorrow. Slips ups just say you dont want it bad enough. Not trying to preach (cause i fall all the time) just stating it strait like others have done for me. There really is no reason to deviate unless the reason is more important than reaching your goals, and only you can answer that. Glad to see you back. Get back on the scale and back on board captain.

Geoff said...

It's understandable that in a time of grieving or festivity one would let their guard down and focus on the moment, without worrying about their long term issues or goals. But to be successful we have to always have those goals in our minds and make our actions live up to them. So you lost two weeks; big deal. Just don't make it 3 weeks. Get back in the saddle and do us proud. The scale is a feared opponent and a humble motivator to action. Get on it :)

Rob Tucker said...

Nothing wrong with what's happened these past few weeks for you. That's some tough times.

But step on the scale.

If you do NOTHING else, step on the scale. No one got fat by stepping on the scale every day. Whether you step on it or not, the weigh is going to be there.

Hang in there, man. I know it's tough. Sometimes food becomes the grief counselor, don't let it. Spend that time talking and being with your family instead. Hang in there!

Brian said...

so did you get on that scale yet? What ya waitin for?

Jim McCoy said...

First off, stop reading this and go step on the scale. After that, put the bad things behind you, get it right moving forward, and let's do this thing. There's no point on worrying about what's past, only about working toward the future. So let's go!

GeneTheK said...

1st thing this morning I weighed in at 195 with 23% BF which was back where I started. I must admit it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe it's that fear (that turns out to not be so bad) that keeps us from moving forward.

GeneTheK said...

Oh yeah, I went to the gym as well. :-)

layla said...

what you posted was so relevant to recent issues i've had. It just seemed acceptable for me to let go a little and 'live a little' during vacation period. I gained a little weight back after my long trip. in retrospect, i should not have allowed myself to let go- its precisely the kind of attitude that got me into trouble the first place, the "enjoy now lose weight later" mentality got me into this fix. so yeah from personal experience, i would say it is no excuse to slacken off although i admit it can be tough as hell. just get back on track- you already took a big step by going to the gym!

Melissa said...

Im slowly learning that in hard times the best thing I can do for myself is take care of myself by exerising and watching what goes in my mouth. Your already down, so piling in the bad food could only make you feel worse. We learn with each situation, and can use that as lesson learned...each time it comes up it will get easier.

You have had a lot to deal with these past few weeks, and I know I would of probably fell back myself. Its what you do know to get back on track that counts.

GeneTheK said...

Melissa -

Your comments are so true. Making a bad situation worse only makes it....well, worse. The circumstances don't change, however each of us have the power to change our actions. Sometimes I lose sight of that. But realizing that we have control, now that is powerful.

Marcol said...

Gene, my heart is with you in all that youve been through these past few months. And Im sorry that the past few weeks werent pristine in the eating department but its over as others have said.

What are you doing now? Hows that working for you? The one thing Im learning about life and weight loss is that life is going to keep happening and that includes the good the bad and the ugly. If I allow myself to stray when things are bad and ugly I wont get very far and will seemingly only sabotage my efforts from the times when life is good.

So we have to learn to stay the course through all situations - thats definitely easier said than done but if we keep it in mind on the constant at times like this it will save us.

Hope youre back in calmer waters.

Enjoy your holiday!