a new beginning...

Friday, November 16, 2007

The long and winding road...



I've always been a huge Beatles fan, but today's post and lyrics have nothing to do with weight loss. While you could say that the "journey" we are all on is in fact a long and winding road, today's rantings are more simply about life - or in this case death.

My Grandmother passed away on Monday night. I was told she died peacefully and did not suffer. She was 85 years young, but Alzheimer's disease had sadly taken her from us long before then. What makes this even sadder is that my Grandfather, her husband of 62 years, died in August. So after going most of my adult life with them in it, I have lost them both within the span of 3 months. Now I know that death is part of life and I once read that "death is only sad for the living", but it still sucks and I miss them both dearly. Especially at this time of year.

While my "clean eating" has taken a hit these past few days, I have still been at the gym. I want to finish up this MH 5-week routine strong. 2 more workouts next week (M & W) and then I will find a new routine post Thanksgiving.

The wild and windy night
That the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears
Crying for the day
Why leave me standing here
Let me know the way

Many times I've been alone
And many times Ive cried
Any way you'll never know
The many ways I've tried

10 comments:

kyle said...

I'm sorry for your losses Gene. I am in a similar boat to what you described, all but one of my grandparents are still with us, but they are all in rapidly declining health. I fear that in the near future I will be crossing the same bridge you're on.

Continue to stay strong, and we're all here if you need a few sets of ears (or eyes I guess :)

Melissa said...

Im sorry Gene, I have you in my thoughts. Let us know if you need anything ok?

Rob Tucker said...

Sorry to hear about this, Gene. My grandmother-in-law is going through the same Alzheimer's disease right now, and it's a struggle. I know Kevin lost his mother to this a few years ago too.

We're here if you need to vent, talk or whatever. My prayers are with you guys. Hang in there.

Marcol said...

Gene,

I share in your sadness. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Youre definitely in my thoughts.

Ripx180 said...

So sorry to read this Gene. Its never easy to loose loved ones. Use your memories to celebrate their lives as I am sure they were wonderful people. take care man and have a great turkey day.

Jim McCoy said...

Gene,
I'm sorry to hear about this. I buried my Granda about two years ago myself, and I know how it hurts. If you need to vent, we're here.

Jim

Jay said...

sorry to hear about your grandparents...I lost mine not to long ago...it's hard to know that you can't visit them anymore and feel like a kid again.

Marcol said...

How are you doing Gene? Hope all is well.

Brian said...

Hi Gene,
Havent heard from you in a while. Hope all is well.

kyle said...

Just checking in buddy. Let us know how things are goin. Like the 2 above me said, I hope that you are well.