a new beginning...

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hey...the brain likes to go on vacation too!


Webster's definition of "disaster" is as follows: a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction. A disaster may be caused by carelessness, negligence, bad judgment, or the like.

Now I'm not sure my vacation falls under that category - a bit too extreme . However, sadly I took far more liberties than I wish I had. That's where the "carelessness, negligence, bad judgment, or the like" would apply.

1st off my family & I had a blast. We got 5 out of 7 good days of weather so we're all nice and tan. We spent time with friends and family, enjoyed bike rides, mini-golf, kiddie amusement parks and the like. My older daughter sees me as the hero of those crane games where you pluck the prize after directing it left and right. My younger daughter has not quite figured out if she likes sand yet. Pick me up, put me down ad infinitum. But you know what...it was worth every minute.

I did go shirtless at the beach and while I was not truly "comfortable" in my own skin I did feel better than in years past. I'd been working out hard prior to the trip so I felt a bit better about myself.

On the down side (and yes, there is a downside to most everything) I strayed too far from my healthy eating. Had a couple of ice cream sundaes. Drank too much beer and the BBQ fare was a bit on the unhealthy side. Sorry but fat free turkey dogs and veggie burgers on the grill just ain't for me. Flank steak, chicken drumsticks (skinless), Sabrets & beef hamburgers are.

So there it is, I confess. I'm human. Mortal. Cut me and I bleed. Take me away from my "scheduled life" & I struggle.

I'm learning. I'm growing. It truly is a lifelong process of acheiving balance.

I'm back at the gym (Turbulence Training 2K3) and on day 3 of clean eating.

4 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Sounds like a great trip. I am not much for bogus BBQ either (turkey franks, veggie burgers and the like) they just are not worth eating. I would rather have a lean ground beef burger with half a whole wheat bun. Throw in some baked sweat potato or yam fries brushed with EVOO and lightly salted and I feel like I am having fast food ;). I also feel like if your on vacation all bets are off. Vacation is all about not being on your normal schedule. Of course you want to minimize the damage but lets face it you cant do too much in a week. It takes 3500 cals to make a pound of fat, that's allot of grub. Man I am sounding like a enabler ;). Anyay glad you and your family had a good trip and made it back safe. Now get back to business!! Next trip to Florida your gonna feel good in your skin right? Be the "Cats Meow"

lj said...

Even though you indulged on vacation it's great that you came back and went right back to your routine of healthy eating and working out! Alot of people stay stuck in vacation mode. You should pat yourself on the back.

Also if you got something out of that crane game that's awesome! that takes some serious skill! :)

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

glad to have you back! Sounds like a great family vacation!

Ripx180 said...

hows it going man? its been a while since you have updated your FAT brethren.