a new beginning...

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Focus



"You can have big plans, but it is the small choices that have the greatest power. They draw us towards the future we want to create."

- Robert Cooper

I've been reading a lot lately. Currently I am reading "Build Your Mind, Your Body Will Follow" by Vincent D. Cocilovo. This is not your typical "fitness" book, however the title says it all.

Oh the mind is a beautiful thing, yet it can still be the "poison pill" we all strive to avoid. The difference? Focus.

Last week during my cleanse (during which I lost 8 lbs. by the way) I had to make a choice on where to direct my focus. Was I going to focus on my hunger and how much I missed simply "chewing food"? Or was I better off focusing on the goal of cleaning out my system and spring boarding back into clean eating? At times it was hard, but I chose to focus on the latter and it really made things easier for me.

There has to be a "bigger picture" for each of us. It will be different for everyone (as it should be). Keep in mind that the bigger picture (long term goal) is compromised of "snapshots" (short term goals) that we build upon along the way. So metaphorically speaking we should take snapshots along the way, making sure that they are helping us create our desired bigger picture.

BTW - Week one of the Men's Health Belly Off 2008 (MHBO) is going great. I'll post some stats soon. I am taking "snapshots" each week , but I'm going to save posting them for a while hoping for a more dramatic effect.

5 comments:

kyle said...

I love the quote. String a bunch of those small choices together for long enough and you'll create a habit. Isn't that what they say? Anyway, here's to staying focused on the big picture, and taking it one small choice at a time.

Jay said...

nice post. you might want to post the initial pics so you can show where you are currently.

Rob Tucker said...

How's it going - been a while since the last one. How do you like the Belly Off deal?

Brian said...

where'd you go?

Carrie said...

Hello? Anyone around? That pic is giving me googly-eyes, it's time for a change... :D